One 10-ounce package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 stick unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 cups crumbled feta cheese
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 large egg, beaten
10 phyllo sheets, thawed if frozen
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place thawed spinach in a clean dish towel. Thoroughly squeeze any excess water from the thawed spinach, removing as much liquid as possible. Then chop spinach on a cutting board.
3. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the spinach and nutmeg and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and mix in the feta (or selected cheese), lemon juice, cracked black pepper and egg to thoroughly combine. Set aside and let the filling cool.
4. Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Cool slightly.
5. Remove thawed phyllo from packaging. Unroll it and cover it with a clean damp kitchen towel.
6. Working with the long side of the phyllo sheet nearest you, take 1 sheet from the stack and brush the entire surface with butter. Top with another phyllo sheet, brushing with more butter. Using a small knife, cut crosswise into five 3-inch strips. Place 2 teaspoons filling in the corner of each strip. Just like you would fold a flag, fold the corner of phyllo over to enclose the filling, forming a triangle, and continue folding the entire strip. Ending with
the seam-side down, place the triangles on a large baking sheet and brush the tops with butter.
7. Repeat with remaining phyllo and spinach mix.
8. Space evenly on a sheet tray and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.