Red Velvet Oreo Brownies
1 cup unsalted softened butter
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
½ cup unsweetened cocoa
1⅓ cups flour
½ tsp. salt
1 bottle of red food coloring (1 fluid oz)
OREO CREAM LAYER
1 pkg. Double Stuffed Oreos
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 ½ cups milk chocolate chips
1 Tbsp vegetable shortening
Preheat oven to 350.
Prepare pan: Place 2 pieces of parchment paper so that some of the paper is sticking out from the top of your pan.You can use a 10 x 10, 9 x 13 or 12 x 12 pan.
1. Cream butter and sugar together in a standing mixer with the paddle attachment. Make sure it's well combined. No need to make it pale and fluffy.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl: salt, cocoa and flour. Set aside.
3. Add eggs and blend well. Add the vanilla and mix again briefly. Then add dry ingredients + red food coloring. Mix until you have a uniform red color throughout. This may mean you need to scrape the sides and the bottom to get all the unmixed batter blended in.
4. Pour into prepared pan. Option: press into the batter whole Oreos spaced 1-2 inches apart, then smooth top with spatula.
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes. This is important: Bake until the center is not longer liquid. It's done when you insert a toothpick and it comes out with bits of crumbs on it. If it comes out with liquid batter, it needs more time in the oven.
6. Allow the brownies to cool.
1. Crush Oreos by placing them in a ziplock bag and smashing them with a rolling pin or meat tenderizer until you get crumbs. Add crushed Oreos to a bowl with softened cream cheese. Using a hand held mixer, mix ingredients until you get a grayish brownish thick frosting like mixture. Set aside.
2. When the brownies are warm to the touch (not hot), gently spread the Oreo Cream with a spatula.
1.Combine chocolate chips and shortening together in a medium small bowl. Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir chocolate once melted to combine with the shortening.
Pour the melted chocolate mix over the Oreo Cream layer. Spread the chocolate with spatula so all. of the Oreo Cream layer is covered.
2. Place some broken Oreos on top for decor and place the pan into fridge to set up for at least 3-4 hours
3. To remove, pull the excess parchment paper up. Place brownie block on a cutting board and using a chef's knife, cut into desired pieces.