Keto Crispy Fried Shrimp
There are nights when all I want to do is curl up with some crispy fried shrimp and watch Julia Child reruns. Those night helped add a whopping 30 pounds of "curves" to my body. So I had to take matters into my own hands and I jumped onto the Keto diet to help shed the extra weight. I thought my nights of fried food indulgences were over. But hurray! On the Keto diet I was ENCOURAGED to consume these delightful treats...with some modifications.
I researched and tried a bunch of different techniques to get as close as I could to my crispy fried shrimp. And after a few weeks, success! This recipe could be applied to chicken, cheese sticks, fish sticks...etc. And it's completely Keto friendly and low carb!
Note: If Arrowroot is not something you want to source, you can substitute it for FINE almond flour.
1 pound shrimp
2-3 cups Low Carb Breading Recipe (click here for details)
1/2 cup arrowroot powder
1 tablespoon water
pinch of salt and pepper
2-3 cups avocado oil (or your choice of frying oil)
1. Clean and completely dry shrimp
2. Whisk egg with water, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
3. Pour Arrowroot powder in a shallow bowl.
4. Pour Low Carb Breading Mix in a shallow bowl.
5. Dip shrimp in Arrowroot and shake excess off. Place on a drying rack and move on to the rest of the shrimp. When they are all covered in arrowroot powder, dip one at a time in the egg mixture and make sure the shrimp gets coated evenly with the egg mix. Immediately place the shrimp in the Low Carb Breading Mix. Rotate the shrimp and lightly press it in breading mix to ensure it is completely and evenly covered in the Low Carb Breading Mix. Place on cooling rack and repeat process with the rest of the shrimp.
6. When all the shrimp are covered, place cooling rack on cookie sheet and into the fridge so the Flax Meal swells a bit and binds together.
7. Heat oil to 350 degrees in a relatively deep frying vessels (a 4-5 quart sauce pan would do nicely).