Crispy, crunchy, fried treats are indulgences I rarely allow myself. I just envision the fat and carbs travel from my mouth and settle on my thighs. However, during my Ketogenic dieting, I developed this incredible recipe so I could still enjoy some of my favorite naughty fried foods. After tinkering with the ratios, I came up with this incredible technique to achieve that delicious, addictive deep fried crunch. And I must confess, even without being on a diet, I would probably use this breading recipe instead of bread crumbs or Panko.
1/2 cup Bob's Arrowroot Powder
1 egg + 1 tablespoon water beaten together in a bowl
Pinch of salt and a grind or two of pepper
BREADING INGREDIENTS/BOWL #3:
1 cup pulverized pork rinds (I use EPIC salt and pepper pork rinds)
2 cups Bob's Mill Flax Meal
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (you can use pecorino or asiago)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1. Place all breading ingredients in a food processor and blitz for a few seconds until everything is combined and uniform in texture.
2. To bread foods, place a cup or two of the breading mix in a bowl.
3. Working in batches, dip the food in the arrowroot and shake it off. Dip it into the egg mix and then in the breading mix.
4. Put the breaded food onto a cooling rack and let it sit for 10-15 minutes in the fridge. This part is important. Flax Meal when combined with a moist element like egg or milk or water, expands. Like bread, Flax Meal becomes a binding ingredient when it absorbs moisture. It's fantastic mixed into crab cakes and acts as a wonderful substitute to bread.
5. Fry in. avocado oil or your favorite frying oil until golden and crispy.