OREO CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE
2 cups Oreo crumbs (from about 24 standard-sized Oreos)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick), melted
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
¾ teaspoons kosher salt
3 cups whole milk
6 large egg yolks
8 ounces semisweet bar chocolate, finely chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
Crushed Oreos, for garnish (optional)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Add Oreos to the bowl of a food processor and process until fine crumbs form. Add melted butter and salt, and process until crumbs are evenly moistened. Tip mixture out into a 9-inch pie plate, and press crumbs evenly into bottom and sides of pan. Bake until crust is fragrant and set, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
3. In a medium saucepan, whisk together granulated sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder and salt. Pouring just a little at first, whisk the milk into the sugar mixture until you have a smooth paste. Gradually add remaining milk, whisking constantly. Whisk in egg yolks.
4. Cook mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it has thickened and just come up to a low boil, about 10 minutes. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
5. Pour custard through sieve, pushing it through with a rubber spatula. Discard any solids. Stir in chocolate, butter and vanilla. Stir until smooth. Pour mixture into prepared crust. Let cool slightly, then cover loosely with plastic wrap and chill until firm, at least 6 hours.
6. To serve, whip cream and confectioners’ sugar until soft peaks form. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with crushed Oreos, if using.