4 pounds fruit (peaches, nectarines and apricots) cut into large pieces
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 stick plus
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 cup thick-cut rolled oats
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and set one of your racks to the middle position.
2. In a bowl, add fruit, sugar and cornstarch. Using a spoon, mix the ingredients until combined. Let the fruit stand for about 10 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl add flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix the ingredients well. Add butter and using the back of a fork or a pastry blender, smush the butter into the flour until you get a crumbly mix. If you feel it would be easier with your hands, use them to break down the butter. We are not making a flaky dough, so warming the butter a bit won’t hurt your crumble.
4. Add the oats and mix thoroughly with a spoon or fork.
5. Pour and then spread filling into a baking dish. Scatter the topping over the filling.
6. Place baking dish on a cookie sheet (you may want to add a piece of parchment paper in case the crumble bubbles over a bit) and bake for 1 hour. The fruit should be bubbling and the topping should be golden brown.
7. Let cool for 1 hour before serving.