This is about as decadent and as bold as it gets. The light pillowy gnocchi are wrapped in a smooth and rich sauce. Nothing about this is calorie friendly, but it's worth every bite. And your kids will love it.
What you will need:
1 lb Russet Potatoes
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
1/4 tsp nutmeg (preferably freshly grated)
1 cup all purpose flour + more for dusting
1.5 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
1 sprig rosemary
1 piece of fresh peeled ginger (the size of the tip of your pinky)
2 tbsp soften unsalted butter
1/3 cup dried breadcrumbs
4 oz Gorgonzola Dolce, crumbled
How to make this divine dish:
Heat oven to 375 degrees.
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, reduce to medium heat once the water is boiling. Cut washed potatoes into 2-3" pieces and add to pot. Cook until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and peel skins off.
2. Using a sieve or food mill, process the cooked potatoes so they are free of lumps. Place potatoes in a bowl and let them cool a bit.
3. Add egg, egg yolk, nutmeg, 1 cup of flour, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and 1 tsp salt to the potatoes and mix until completely combined. It should now look like a dough, sticky, but formed.
4. Dust your counter with flour and transfer dough to it. Work dough into a nice ball and sprinkle enough flour to the surface so the dough doesn't stick.
5. Cut dough into 5 pieces and roll each piece into a long flute about 1" in thickness.
6. Grab a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
7. Cut each flute into 1 inch pieces. Using a fork or a gnocchi paddle, make the traditional marks by rolling each piece along the fork or paddle.
8. Coat a baking dish with 1 tbsp of butter.
9. Boil a pot of water. Salt it. In batches of 15-18 gnocchi cook until the pieces float. Using a slotted spoon, remove cooked gnocchi and put them into the prepared baking dish.
10. Put cream, rosemary sprig and ginger into a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and turn heat off. Place lid on pot and let the cream rest for 20 minutes.
11. Mix bread crumbs, 1 tbsp of butter and 1 cup Parmesan cheese until it looks like large crumbs.
12. Poor strained cream over gnocchi, crumble the Gorgonzola Dolce over them and lastly sprinkle the Parmesan mix over the whole dish.
13. Place baking dish into the oven and bake for about 25 minutes. Or until the cream sauce bubbles.
14. Remove from heat and let it cool a bit before serving.